Help, after joints merge, my TLM is all miss-configured.
Gene Heskett
2017-03-23 20:47:39 UTC
Greetings guys;

Chucking up that pulley to start making the taper boring, I found TLM
wouldn't run, throwing errors about a non-existant Y axis

I had not run it since before the joints merge.

3 hours worth of checking and editing later, I can make it run but the
axis's are all weird. Pressing a left-right key runs X, and the in-out
keys run Z.

Watching the leds on the bob, it is actually driving the wrong axis.

But, the DRO is showing the axis thats moving as the correct axis for the
one thats actually moving. Me confused. Bumfuzzled even. Configs
attached. Hopefully enough to run it.

What did I miss?

Thanks all;

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Gene Heskett
2017-03-24 14:54:46 UTC
Post by Gene Heskett
Greetings guys;
Chucking up that pulley to start making the taper boring, I found TLM
wouldn't run, throwing errors about a non-existant Y axis
I had not run it since before the joints merge.
3 hours worth of checking and editing later, I can make it run but the
axis's are all weird. Pressing a left-right key runs X, and the in-out
keys run Z.
Watching the leds on the bob, it is actually driving the wrong axis.
But, the DRO is showing the axis thats moving as the correct axis for
the one thats actually moving. Me confused. Bumfuzzled even. Configs
attached. Hopefully enough to run it.
What did I miss?
Thanks all;
Cheers, Gene Heskett
No reply?

Further info:

I have it working except the keyboard jog key assignment is wrong. I read
in the devel docs that there is in the [DISPLAY] section a
JOG_AXES = XZmore_axis_characters configuration option. Looking that up
in the online docs. it says this is the order of the jog key assignment,
starting with the left-right arrows being assigned to the first (X) and
Z is then assigned to the in-out arrows.

This jog_order is reported in the terminal window its launched from,
note: jog_order='XZ'
note: jog_invert=set(['X'])

and if I change that string from XZ to ZX, it is reversed in the
jog_order reported.
note: jog_order='ZX'
note: jog_invert=set(['X'])

But the actual keyboard assignment does not change, X stays on the
left-right keys, and z stays on the in-out keys.

Changing the trivkins coordinates=XZ to trivkins coordinates=ZX
apparently swaps the axis<->joint assignments, and I can't make that run
because the MAX|MIN limits don't match then.

So how do I restore the we're used to it for a decade or more keyboard
response?

I've just now installed a new version.
linuxcnc (1:2.8.0~pre1.2926.g4564804) to 1:2.8.0~pre1.2939.g7f30fa2
so lets see if this problem persists.
note: jog_order='ZX'
note: jog_invert=set(['X'])
But the actual keyboard assigns are left-X-right, and up-Z-down. I have
no clue if real gcode is similarly scrambled as well because it won't
home (or run an MDI command to see which axis moves) in this condition.

To me, this is a bug, but in that case the big lathe should be similarly
afflicted, but is not. But the linuxcnc versions there are not tracking
the x86 versions either. That machine has:
linuxcnc-uspace/stable,now 1:2.8.0~pre1.2771.gdc2ff49 armhf [installed]

Which I read as being behind quite a bit.

What can I do? I need this to make the taperlock parts for the bigger
Sheldon lathe's spindle drive. Which is all apart ATM.

Thanks everybody.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
andy pugh
2017-03-24 15:15:50 UTC
Post by Gene Heskett
What can I do?
Do you have a .axisrc file?
--
atp
lunatics."
Gene Heskett
2017-03-24 17:03:12 UTC
Post by andy pugh
Post by Gene Heskett
What can I do?
Do you have a .axisrc file?
Lemme check. No where in my home directory, but I do have
an .axis_preferances in my home dir, dated today. So lets cat it.
***@lathe:~/linuxcnc/configs/my_LinuxCNC_machine2$
cat ../../../.axis_preferences
==========
[DEFAULT]
tto_g11 = False
show_program = True
show_rapids = True
program_alpha = False
show_live_plot = True
show_tool = True
show_extents = False
show_offsets = False
grid_size = 0.0
show_machine_limits = True
show_machine_speed = True
show_distance_to_go = True
dro_large_font = True
block_delete = True
optional_stop = True
recentfiles = ['snip']
==========
That doesn't look guilty. And I don't see anything else that looks
connected to this even in the nc_files directory.

Thanks Andy.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Gene Heskett
2017-03-24 18:29:57 UTC
Post by Gene Heskett
Post by andy pugh
Post by Gene Heskett
[...]
This is bat guano crazy Andy, you may as well whistle up the dogs and let
them rest. For now at least.

I went out, launched it on its own screen, verified the keyboard was
still wrong. Hit the home-all with a finger on the esc key, x started
backing out as it should, stopped it, cleaned the swarf out from in
front of the home switch and hit the home-all again. It homed in the
proper sequence without any excitement. Switched to mdi and moved x back
in 40mm's which it did. Hit the left arrow on the keyboard and the
carriage headed left, right arrow moved it right, in and out moves x in
the right directions. Now, I wonder if it will survive a restart. I'll
do that after I locate some steel for the taperlock insert. My steel
stock in larger diameters is a bit sparse.

I'd scratch my head, but probably only succeed in drawing a bit of blood
as I am close to being out of hair in front.

So, back to your regularly scheduled programming. ;-)

Thank you Andy.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Gene Heskett
2017-03-24 22:39:10 UTC
Post by Gene Heskett
Post by Gene Heskett
Post by andy pugh
Post by Gene Heskett
[...]
The quick answer to that is no, I must home it before the keyboard works
normally, after every restart. Verified twice now.

Thank you Andy.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
andy pugh
2017-03-24 23:04:52 UTC
Post by Gene Heskett
The quick answer to that is no, I must home it before the keyboard works
normally, after every restart. Verified twice now.
Interesting.

My lathe won't jog in joint mode, but auto-switches to axis mode when
homed. But I have set it up to home instantly to the resolvers, modulo
a saved position. So this is not a conventional setup, and I like the
reminder that I ought to press that home-all button.

This might be the same thing, or a different manifestation of a similar thing
--
atp
lunatics."
Gene Heskett
2017-03-25 02:16:17 UTC
Post by andy pugh
Post by Gene Heskett
The quick answer to that is no, I must home it before the keyboard
works normally, after every restart. Verified twice now.
Interesting.
My lathe won't jog in joint mode, but auto-switches to axis mode when
homed.
I never said it wouldn't jog, Andy. But until its homed, the jog key vs
axis jogged doesn't match. The left and right arrows are moving x, but
feels backwards. Up/in-out/down move Z. Even if you've specified the
axis's as ZX, which except for the trivkins argument, is that way every
place else in the .ini file. By then I'm confused & forgot which key
moves left and vice-versa. You absolutely have to look to see if you
are moving it in the direction it needs to go.

But once homed, its good to go and I've found the flange of the taperlock
already in this block of steel, and have a 5/8" hole thru it, ready to
open up to about .875" with a boring bar tomorrow. Once thats done, turn
it around in the chuck ad find the rest of the hub, I know its hiding in
there someplace, under 3 or so more ounces of steel. ;-)

TLM didn't really want to pull that 5/8" bit, but eventually did get
chewed thru it. I could have used a bigger bit yet, but the next bigger
one is 1.125". But I've nothing on the property thats comfy turning
that! The Sheldon maybe, if it was turning at all, which it is not ATM
because I'm working on its spindle drive.

I may sort thru the stuff I cleaned out of the B.I.L.'s garden shed after
he died sitting in my pickup in front of the ER door, they grabbed him
and worked on him for about 3 hours, but only got a heartbeat for 2-3
minutes at a time & they finally admitted they had used the whole kit on
him.

But anything in that pile will need really serious resharpening including
some pipe tap's in the 3+ inch territory. Couple hundred lbs of stuff,
every ounce terminally abused & somewhat rusty.
Post by andy pugh
But I have set it up to home instantly to the resolvers, modulo
a saved position. So this is not a conventional setup, and I like the
reminder that I ought to press that home-all button.
This might be the same thing, or a different manifestation of a similar thing
Thank you Andy. Double thanks if you find it!

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Gene Heskett
2017-04-14 02:08:51 UTC
On Thursday 23 March 2017 16:47:39 Gene Heskett wrote:

There has been 3 or 4 lcnc updates since I originally posted this, but I
still have the problem. The keyboards jog xz keys are still scrambled
UNTIL its been homed, after which everything moves the direction it is
supposed to.

I've changed the order of the XZ to ZX in the ini file but it makes no
difference, even if I reboot after changing it, so I've put that back to
XZ in all 3 of the places in the ini file. And I'm still puzzled.

Are there any other places I should be checking?

Thanks all;
Phillip Carter
2017-04-14 02:33:23 UTC
Post by Gene Heskett
Greetings guys;
Chucking up that pulley to start making the taper boring, I found TLM
wouldn't run, throwing errors about a non-existant Y axis
I had not run it since before the joints merge.
3 hours worth of checking and editing later, I can make it run but the
axis's are all weird. Pressing a left-right key runs X, and the in-out
keys run Z.
Watching the leds on the bob, it is actually driving the wrong axis.
But, the DRO is showing the axis thats moving as the correct axis for
the one thats actually moving. Me confused. Bumfuzzled even. Configs
attached. Hopefully enough to run it.
What did I miss?
Thanks all;
Cheers, Gene Heskett
Cheers, Gene Heskett
I have noticed the same and am trying out some fixes at the moment.
Cheers, Phill
Gene Heskett
2017-04-14 02:40:53 UTC
Post by Gene Heskett
Greetings guys;
Chucking up that pulley to start making the taper boring, I found
TLM wouldn't run, throwing errors about a non-existant Y axis
I had not run it since before the joints merge.
3 hours worth of checking and editing later, I can make it run but
the axis's are all weird. Pressing a left-right key runs X, and the
in-out keys run Z.
Watching the leds on the bob, it is actually driving the wrong axis.
But, the DRO is showing the axis thats moving as the correct axis
for the one thats actually moving. Me confused. Bumfuzzled even.
Configs attached. Hopefully enough to run it.
What did I miss?
Thanks all;
Cheers, Gene Heskett
Cheers, Gene Heskett
I have noticed the same and am trying out some fixes at the moment.
So I am not alone. Please post any successes. It will be appreciated.

Thank you Phillip.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Phillip Carter
2017-04-15 02:58:46 UTC
Post by Gene Heskett
Post by Gene Heskett
[...]
A commit to fix this has been merged into master.
Cheers, Phill
Gene Heskett
2017-04-15 04:38:20 UTC
Post by Phillip Carter
Post by Gene Heskett
Post by Gene Heskett
[...]
I wonder if the buildbot has made it yet, I just pulled an update, and
still have the problem. I have to make another bearing pusher by the
time some Koyo BH-1412-OH;PB;L25's bearings arrive. But thats likely not
till the middle of next week, amazon claimed they had 7, but when I
one-clicked early Friday morning, I had to settle for 4. And they've
not been shipped a/o about 4 hours ago. And I expect this weekend won't
see any activity.

Thanks Phillip.
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)