git
Stuart Stevenson
2017-04-20 18:31:32 UTC
I get this message when running 'git pull' in my 2.7 directory.

this doesn't make sense to me so what is it saying?

***@enshu:~/linuxcnc2.7-dev/src$ git status
# On branch 2.7-ilowpass-fix
# Your branch is ahead of 'origin/2.7-ilowpass-fix' by 7 commits.
#
# Untracked files:
# (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)
#
# ../configs/by_machine/enshu_touchy/
# ../debian/linuxcnc-uspace-rtai.files
# ../debian/linuxcnc-uspace-xenomai.files
# ../docs/man/man1/thermistor.1
# ../lib/python/pyui/
# ../scripts/halcmd_twopass
# config.h.in~
# emc/usr_intf/touchy/touchy_new.py
# emc/usr_intf/touchy/touchy_orig.py
# hal/components/enshutoolchange.comp
# hal/components/estop_latch2.comp
# hal/components/gear2.comp
nothing added to commit but untracked files present (use "git add" to track)

Addressee is the intended audience.
If you are not the addressee then my consent is not given for you to read
this email furthermore it is my wish you would close this without saving or
reading, and cease and desist from saving or opening my private
correspondence.
Thank you for honoring my wish.
Sebastian Kuzminsky
2017-04-20 20:41:06 UTC
Post by Stuart Stevenson
[...]
"git pull" means "fetch all the new stuff from the remote server and
merge it into whatever i have in my working tree", and that's probably
not what you want in this situation since you're on a short-lived bugfix
branch (2.7-ilowpass-fix).

Try this instead:

git checkout 2.7
git fetch
git merge --ff-only origin/2.7

The "merge --ff-only" means: if my local 2.7 is in the history of
origin's 2.7 (ie, if i've made no local commits), then move my 2.7 ahead
to catch up to origin's 2.7, but if i've made local commits then stop
and don't change anything.
Sebastian Kuzminsky
Alec Ari
2017-04-25 08:59:32 UTC
If you still have issues after following seb's instructions, I suggest simply recloning if you're new to git.
$ git clone -b 2.7 --single-branch --depth=1 git://git.linuxcnc.org/git/linuxcnc.git linuxcnc_2.7_new
You'll then automatically be on the 2.7 current stable branch without the entire LinuxCNC git history and the commits before it. Should make it more difficult to mess something up. From there if you ever want to update, just run `git pull` (no quotes)
--single-branch --depth=1 will speed up the time it takes to clone the repository as well, especially on slow connections. I had to do that a lot back when I was on DSL. Hope this helps!
Alec Ari
Stuart Stevenson
2017-04-27 21:16:13 UTC
Thanks for the replies. I had already blown it away and cloned it again. I
am back where I was before trying to fix it with git. :)

I will try to 'fix' it again in the next couple days.