is possible run lcnc over vxworks?
Add Reply
theman whosoldtheworld
2017-06-16 19:35:55 UTC
is possible run lcnc over vxworks? and how?

bkt
Jeff Epler
2017-06-17 02:51:57 UTC
Post by theman whosoldtheworld
is possible run lcnc over vxworks? and how?
LinuxCNC depends on rtapi (bundled as part of the LinuxCNC source tree) for
portability to different RTOSes.

To use LinuxCNC on a new rtos such as vxworks, "all" you have to do is create
an implementation of rtapi.

I am not familiar with vxworks, so I can't speculate whether this is difficult
or very difficult. If vxworks has an API that is broadly similar to POSIX
threads, then it is going to be less hard; you might just have to implement the
very small interface of the 'RtapiApp' virtual base class [plus additional
detection logic, scripting in scripts/realtime, and, oh, lots of other stuff I
don't remember off the top of my head]. If it's not broadly similar to POSIX,
then you can either see what has to be made a virtual method of RtapiApp, or
make a fresh implementation from scratch (the classic kernel-mode realtime with
rtai is like this, though it predates uspace and rtapi_app by many years).

Then you will have to do whatever porting is necessary to run non-realtime
POSIX apps such as milltask, and if you aren't running a local graphical user
interface you'll have to deal with nml-over-tcp and all the rough edges that
exist there. (and of course if you can't run regular non-realtime POSIX apps
such as milltask then you have a much bigger problem)

Basically, you need to throw a lot of developer time at it and maybe you'll get
a useful result and maybe you won't.

Ultimately, accepting a vxworks rtapi implementation would be a tough call for
LinuxCNC developers; I'd be reluctant unless we had a plan for keeping it
actively automatically tested and had a developer who would show up to fix at
least showstopper bugs.

Jeff
theman whosoldtheworld
2017-06-17 08:01:19 UTC
real thanks ... in the end from my point of view, it all depends on the
support I can get from vxworks staff. I am alone and I do many things too,
It seems that vxworks has good support, so you can ask them the right
tricks to do things. I can make an attempt, if it will work I'll punch a
shot, if you like, you'll tell me something about it. I do not think I'll
get some results before January 2018 ....

if not work ... I'll report you my work and the bad result .... so other
people will have the information about it.

bkt