Odd eBay Ad.
andy pugh
2017-04-30 01:27:17 UTC
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191916464359

This bothers me.
--
atp
lunatics."
andy pugh
2017-04-30 01:50:52 UTC
Post by andy pugh
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191916464359
This bothers me.
On Amazon too. is this legitimate?

Product details

Paperback: 74 pages
Publisher: Samurai Media Limited (21 Mar. 2016)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 9888406302
ISBN-13: 978-9888406302
Product Dimensions: 21.6 x 0.4 x 27.9 cm
Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item

I note that they do not claim copyright, just that they published it.
--
atp
lunatics."
Jon Elson
2017-04-30 02:06:08 UTC
Post by andy pugh
Post by andy pugh
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191916464359
This bothers me.
On Amazon too. is this legitimate?
Well, we don't have a copyright on the material, do we? I
notice "by the LinuxCNC team" on the ad, maybe since this is
not authorized by our "team", we might be able to get it
pulled. Might have a lot more luck with Amazon. eBay
doesn't want to get involved in ANYTHING.

Good luck!

Jon
Jon Elson
2017-04-30 02:09:39 UTC
Post by andy pugh
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191916464359
This bothers me.
Hmmm, I just had an idea! Ask the seller this question :
"Did you know you can download this free at
linuxcnc.org/<link path>?"

That text will appear at the bottom of the eBay ad in the
questions box, and I don't think the seller can remove it.
If we make that a regular occurrence, that might dry up this
stuff.

Jon
Kurt Jacobson
2017-04-30 02:18:11 UTC
Looks like they publish a whole series of these type of books, all for free
software?
https://www.bookdepository.com/publishers/Samurai-Media-Limited
Sebastian Kuzminsky
2017-04-30 02:48:21 UTC
Post by Jon Elson
Post by andy pugh
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191916464359
This bothers me.
"Did you know you can download this free at
linuxcnc.org/<link path>?"
That text will appear at the bottom of the eBay ad in the
questions box, and I don't think the seller can remove it.
If we make that a regular occurrence, that might dry up this
stuff.
I agree with Andy, that's weird.

Our documentation is copyrighted by various people, and licensed GPLv2.
I'm no lawyer, but i think it's probably ok legally to sell hardcopy of
our documentation, as long as you make the source code available upon
request. This is the same as Tormach selling binaries of their fork of
our software, and making the source code available upon request.

Samurai Media Limited seems to be John Richard Pepperrell:
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/04490974/officers

It looks to me like that company publishes lots of pdfs from around the
web: https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/sml
Sebastian Kuzminsky
Sebastian Kuzminsky
2017-04-30 02:50:03 UTC
https://wordery.com/search?viewBy=grid&resultsPerPage=100&publisher=samurai-media-limited
Sebastian Kuzminsky
Gene Heskett
2017-04-30 04:59:50 UTC
Post by Sebastian Kuzminsky
Post by Sebastian Kuzminsky
It looks to me like that company publishes lots of pdfs from around
the web: https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/sml
https://wordery.com/search?viewBy=grid&resultsPerPage=100&publisher=sa
murai-media-limited
etc

Is there a Creative Commons type license that would give the authors
control over such? And still give you guys free range to keep it up to
date as you are now doing? Authors being defined for legal purposes as
anyone with editing rights.

I see the web page served up versions as the last word on the subject,
and potentially out of date by the buildbots next build. This aspect of
the docs is IMNSHO, a huge advantage over any printed version which is
likely out of date right now. New bee's coming in for advice, should be
reminded of that.

I like dead tree docs, a lot, but I gave up reprinting the whole 700+
page manual about every two years because my copy was getting grease
stained and dog eared, not to mention it was already obsolete by the
time I had killed another tree.

At least my monitor doesn't get dog-eared. Cutting oils and swarf, yes.
I have a sheet of lexan over TLM's monitor because its dead behind the
machine. I have to clean it off 2 or 3x a year. That lexan is tough
stuff, I haven't scratched it yet in 6 or 8 years.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)