Debug value?
Gene Heskett
2017-04-11 13:24:27 UTC
Greetings everybody;

I would like to be able to make my jog-wheels aware of the g20-g21, G7,G8
states of the interpretor so that my pyvcp stuff will switch its ranges
from displaying inches, to millimeters as the VIEW option is changed
from inches to mm's.

Is there a debug= value in the ini file that will cause this to become
exposed so that my jog size display will follow this display selection
used for everything else it shows on screen. Ideally, I'd like to scale
the size according the the G20-G21 state, and the value displayed
according the the view in/mm toggle, but those signals do not seem to be
available with DEBUG = 0X0000000.

If there is not such a DEBUG=bit set, can we please have those 3 pins
made visible in the next build?

Thank you all.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Kurt Jacobson
2017-04-11 13:48:16 UTC
Gene, I was trying to do somthing similar the other day so I could
calculate the current chipload and display it. I was getting the current
gcodes using the python interfaces stat.current_gcodes. The problem was
that the codes were not being updated during a running program. On the emc
dev list they said that was fixed in a branch called state-tags, which
should be merged to master soon.

I don't know of any existing Hal pins that have what you want, but since
G20/21 is unlikely to change during a running program it should be very
posible to make a python script that would export the pins you need.

I'd be glad to take a stab at it if you think such a script would be
usefull and there is not a better solution.

Kurt Jacobson
505-303-1933
Sent from Mobile
Gene Heskett
2017-04-11 17:13:14 UTC
Post by Kurt Jacobson
Gene, I was trying to do somthing similar the other day so I could
calculate the current chipload and display it. I was getting the
current gcodes using the python interfaces stat.current_gcodes. The
problem was that the codes were not being updated during a running
program. On the emc dev list they said that was fixed in a branch
called state-tags, which should be merged to master soon.
I don't know of any existing Hal pins that have what you want, but
since G20/21 is unlikely to change during a running program it should
be very posible to make a python script that would export the pins you
need.
I'd be glad to take a stab at it if you think such a script would be
usefull and there is not a better solution.
Kurt Jacobson
505-303-1933
Sent from Mobile
But would this script update those states in real time? Probably not w/o
re-running the script. This is why I'm asking for the exposure of those
3 pins. They would be within say .1 seconds of real time. By the time my
display would get updated, probably .4 seconds.
Gene Heskett
2017-04-11 17:22:14 UTC
Post by Kurt Jacobson
Gene, I was trying to do somthing similar the other day so I could
calculate the current chipload and display it. I was getting the
current gcodes using the python interfaces stat.current_gcodes. The
problem was that the codes were not being updated during a running
program. On the emc dev list they said that was fixed in a branch
called state-tags, which should be merged to master soon.
I don't know of any existing Hal pins that have what you want, but
since G20/21 is unlikely to change during a running program it should
be very posible to make a python script that would export the pins you
need.
I have actually done that, copy/pasting an arc from one program to the
current one, but it was in mm's, so I had to either recalc it, or do a
G21 in front of it and a G20 after it, but in general you are correct as
most won't push their luck. Easy for me since I don't usually have any
luck to push so I tend to charge right in. :) Usually, I live.